Learning & Resources
Be informed and empowered about the building process and the service a building surveyor provides.
Articles to educate yourself
How do you know if your building products are safe and fit for purpose?
Apartment fires in the Lacrosse Building in Melbourne in 2014 and particularly in Grenfell Tower in London last year, have […]Read article
What is meant by building compliance?
Building compliance refers to the alignment of a building with the relevant rules, regulations and codes. This includes the products […]Read article
You may have come across references to Class 1a houses or Class 10a outbuildings. Building classification is used to define […]Read article
Building work – what is it and does it need a CLC?
Building work is any work that involves constructing, erecting, altering, adding to, repairing, underpinning or demolishing a building, and includes […]Read article
The difference between planning permits and building permits
There are three types of permits you might need if you want to build something: Planning, Building or Plumbing. We […]Read article
What are protection works and do I need them?
Protection works are the measures put in place to protect adjoining properties, the people on adjoining properties, the people on […]Read article
The inherent risk of stairs
Stairs are seemingly innocuous building elements, possibly because they are encountered so frequently. However, they are often found to contribute […]Read article
What does a building surveyor do?
A building surveyor needs to “survey” the design and construction of building work to make sure the finished building is […]Read article
Temporary Occupancy Permits for events
A Temporary Occupancy Permit is required for events where an existing building or temporary structure (e.g. a marquee or stage) […]Read article
Not sure where to start? Below is a selection of useful forms and advice to take the hassle out of the process
- Form 2 - Application for Building CLC + Permit
- Form 8 - Application for Cert Substantial Compliance
- Form 4 - Application for Occupancy Permit
- Form 5 - Application for Temp Occupancy Permit
- Directors Determination - Building Risk Categories
- building approval checklist
- building notice or order - what to do
- owner builder permit info
- Owner Builder Permit Application
- NCC Building classification fact sheet
- Contact details for Tasmanian councils
- Code of Practice for Tasmanian building surveyors
- Residential Building Consumer Guide
- Infographic - building dispute resolution
Much of the information we use comes from these sources – you can access them directly for further information or checking.
- Building Act 2016
- Building Regulations 2016
- National Construction Code
- Consumer Building and Occupational Services
- Statutory determinations, forms and fact sheets
- Owner builder permit information
- theLIST - Tasmania's Land Information System
- iplan - for Planning enquiries and information
- Tasmania Fire Service