Learning & Resources
Be informed and empowered about the building process and the service a building surveyor provides.
Articles to educate yourself
Low-risk work, notifiable work and permit work – what’s the difference?
Building work is any work that involves erecting, constructing, altering, renovating, adding to, repairing, underpinning or demolishing a building. It […]Read article
Buying an existing house? Read this first
We’re often asked to approve illegal building work on a recently- or soon-to-be-acquired property. It’s not uncommon for someone to […]Read article
What is a Certificate of Title and what does it tell me?
Certificates of Title are quite useful little documents and are required for most building projects. They are legal documents of […]Read article
Protection work – stuff you need to know
What is it? Protection work is the additional work put in place to protect people and adjoining properties from construction […]Read article
Good design good construction
Planning for your construction project can be time-consuming and costly, and that’s before you’ve even put a spade in the […]Read article
When is a dwelling ancillary?
In terms of building approvals, a building is ancillary to a dwelling when it is additional to, but not required […]Read article
Considering an outbuilding conversion? What you need to know.
Thinking of creating more space and converting your unused shed or garage into a home office or a bedroom for […]Read article
Building surveyors and the courts
Two recent judgements involving building surveyors serve as a confronting reminder of the legal obligations of building surveyors. In the […]Read article
Occupant wellbeing – the next frontier for the built environment
Building performance describes how well a building addresses its requirements for sustainability and occupant safety, health and amenity. Traditionally, building […]Read article
How to minimise the potential for a building dispute
Each building project is unique, bringing people together from different organisations and with different expertise to achieve a one-off, long-term, […]Read article
Not sure where to start? Below is a selection of useful forms and advice to take the hassle out of the process
- Form 2 - Application for Building CLC + Permit
- Form 8 - Application for Certificate of Substantial Compliance
- Form 4 - Application for Occupancy Permit
- Form 5 - Application for Temporary Occupancy Permit
- Directors Determination - Building Risk Categories
- Building approval checklist
- Building notice or order
- Owner builder permit info
- Owner Builder Permit Application
- NCC Building classification fact sheet
- Council contact details
- Code of Practice for Tasmanian building surveyors
- Residential Building Consumer Guide
- Infographic - building dispute resolution
Much of the information we use comes from these sources – you can access them directly for further information or checking.
- Building Act 2016
- Building Regulations 2016
- National Construction Code
- Consumer Building and Occupational Services
- Statutory determinations, forms and fact sheets
- Owner builder permit information
- theLIST - Tasmania's Land Information System
- iplan - for Planning enquiries and information
- Tasmania Fire Service