Learning & Resources
Be informed and empowered about the building process and the service a building surveyor provides.
Articles to educate yourself
What is a Certificate of Title and what does it tell me?
Certificates of Title are quite useful little documents and are required for most building projects. They are legal documents of […]Read article
Protection work – stuff you need to know
What is it? Protection work is the additional work put in place to protect people and adjoining properties from construction […]Read article
Good design good construction
Planning for your construction project can be time-consuming and costly, and that’s before you’ve even put a spade in the […]Read article
When is a dwelling ancillary?
In terms of building approvals, a building is ancillary to a dwelling when it is additional to, but not required […]Read article
Considering an outbuilding conversion? What you need to know.
Thinking of creating more space and converting your unused shed or garage into a home office or a bedroom for […]Read article
Building surveyors and the courts
Two recent judgements involving building surveyors serve as a confronting reminder of the legal obligations of building surveyors. In the […]Read article
Occupant wellbeing – the next frontier for the built environment
Building performance describes how well a building addresses its requirements for sustainability and occupant safety, health and amenity. Traditionally, building […]Read article
How to minimise the potential for a building dispute
Each building project is unique, bringing people together from different organisations and with different expertise to achieve a one-off, long-term, […]Read article
Let there be good light
Traditionally, lighting has been about visibility and safe movement within a building, but light distribution and patterns can have broader […]Read article
Are you offering short-term accommodation?
If you’re offering short- or medium-term accommodation, you may need a permit. Consumer Building and Occupational Services are planning to […]Read article
Not sure where to start? Below is a selection of useful forms and advice to take the hassle out of the process
- Form 2 - Application for Building CLC + Permit
- Form 8 - Application for Cert Substantial Compliance
- Form 4 - Application for Occupancy Permit
- Form 5 - Application for Temp Occupancy Permit
- Directors Determination - Building Risk Categories
- building approval checklist
- building notice or order - what to do
- owner builder permit info
- Owner Builder Permit Application
- NCC Building classification fact sheet
- Contact details for Tasmanian councils
- Code of Practice for Tasmanian building surveyors
- Residential Building Consumer Guide
- Infographic - building dispute resolution
Much of the information we use comes from these sources – you can access them directly for further information or checking.
- Building Act 2016
- Building Regulations 2016
- National Construction Code
- Consumer Building and Occupational Services
- Statutory determinations, forms and fact sheets
- Owner builder permit information
- theLIST - Tasmania's Land Information System
- iplan - for Planning enquiries and information
- Tasmania Fire Service