Get in Touch

Pudding Lane Building Surveyors
ABN: 15 623 416 722

Office Address
New Town,
Tasmania  7008

Opening Hours
Monday – Thursday: 8:30 – 4:30
Friday: Closed
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

Pudding Lane are here to guide you through the building regulations. Have a query? Need a quote? Give us a call or send an email to discuss how we can help with your project.

Ask a Question Request a quote

(please attach your building plans for a tailored quote)

Other ways to contact us

If you need to send us large files we suggest that you use dropbox. Dropbox can be found here at:

I am an info window
Learning & Resources

Building for bushfire

By Alex Wood

By Danielle Warfe

22 October 2018

Living near the trees is pretty special, but it also means a bit more attention is needed to ensure your building has some protection from bushfires. If you’re looking to build and think you might be exposed to the risk of bushfire, here’s what you’ll need to consider to make sure your building is designed and constructed to resist bushfire attack.

Are you at risk?

Generally, if you’re within 100 m of bushfire-prone vegetation more than 1 hectare in area (e.g. unmanaged forest, scrub, grassland), you’re in a bushfire-prone area and are at some level of risk from bushfires. You can check whether you’re in a bushfire-prone area on theLIST, by selecting the planning scheme overlay in the maps view.

What’s your level of risk?

If you’re in a bushfire-prone area, you’ll need to have your Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) determined by an accredited bushfire assessor, and there’s a list of them on the Tasmania Fire Service website. Your designated BAL will dictate the features required for your building to reduce the chance of ignition from bushfire attack, and your designer will incorporate these into your project design.

Does your building need bushfire measures?

Yes, if it’s a dwelling, a public accommodation building (such as a guesthouse or resort), a factory, a school or public assembly building, a healthcare or aged care building, or an outbuilding within 6 m of any of the above. All these buildings need property access and a water supply for fire-fighting, but only residential buildings (and outbuildings within 6 m of a residential building) need to be designed and constructed to resist bushfire attack. If it’s a shop or office then no, it doesn’t need bushfire measures but you may still choose to incorporate them for insurance purposes.

What bushfire measures will you need for your building?

This will depend on your BAL designation, the type of building it is, and where it’s located on your site, but the minimum features you’ll need to consider will be:

  • access for a fire appliance,
  • a fire-fighting water supply, and
  • a hazard management area around the building.

Dwellings, accommodation buildings and outbuildings within 6 m of these will also need design consideration of:

  • building shape and type of footings,
  • bushfire-resistant cladding and roofing,
  • placement of windows and bushfire screens or shutters, and
  • metal pipes for all exposed pipework.

These requirements are detailed in the Director’s Determination – Requirements for Building in Bushfire-Prone Areas.

What extent of building work requires attention to bushfire-resistance?

New buildings, work that requires a building permit, and notifiable work greater than 20 m2. Internal alterations are not subject to bushfire requirements.

What documents will you need for building approval?

  • A Bushfire Hazard Management Plan and report, which specifies your BAL designation and how the bushfire hazard is proposed to be managed around your building, and is prepared and certified by your accredited bushfire assessor.
  • An emergency plan if your building is any of those mentioned above, other than a private dwelling.
  • Design documentation detailing the bushfire-resistant features required for your specific BAL designation. If you’re in a BAL-40 or BAL-FZ area of greater bushfire risk, your design will need to be a performance solution developed in consultation with the Tasmania Fire Service.

This should get you started, but the Tasmania Fire Service has lots of useful information on their website, particularly their Building for Bushfire guide and Water Supply infosheet, and you can always contact us for further advice specific to your situation.


Alex Wood

Building Surveyor

Alex is a fully qualified and licensed Building Surveyor (Open) with experience across all sectors. He has been practising building regulation for over 20 years, and is a trusted and professional operator.


Danielle Warfe

Building Surveyor (Limited)

Danielle is an experienced researcher, skilled in communication, risk assessment, and the evaluation of evidence. She is currently studying a Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification.