Get in Touch

Pudding Lane Building Surveyors
ABN: 15 623 416 722

Office Address
New Town,
Tasmania  7008

Opening Hours
Monday – Thursday: 8:30 – 4:30
Friday: Closed
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

Pudding Lane are here to guide you through the building regulations. Have a query? Need a quote? Give us a call or send an email to discuss how we can help with your project.

Ask a Question Request a quote

(please attach your building plans for a tailored quote)

Other ways to contact us

If you need to send us large files we suggest that you use dropbox. Dropbox can be found here at:

I am an info window
Learning & Resources

The difference between planning permits and building permits

By Danielle Warfe

27 March 2018

There are three types of permits you might need if you want to build something: Planning, Building or Plumbing. We take care of the building side of things, but plumbing and planning are separate processes administered by your local council.

Planning balances the development of resources against the use of resources. A planning permit indicates a development is appropriate for the community amenity, environmental status, and visual impact at a site. It means you can use your site for what you’re intending to build, but you can’t actually build until you have a building permit.

Initial planning enquiries can be made on the iplan website. Go to My Planning Enquiry, type in your address and answer some questions about your proposed development. You will get advice on whether you’re exempt or whether you need to submit a planning application.

A building permit indicates a development is approved for construction. It means your proposed development has been assessed and certified by a building surveyor as meeting the relevant building requirements.

In Tasmania, most building work needs certification by a building surveyor, and some of this work will also need a building permit from your local council. At Pudding Lane, we can advise you on whether a building permit is required and we also lodge building permit applications on your behalf. Once these approvals are in place, we authorise building work to commence, and then you can start building.


Danielle Warfe

Building Surveyor (Limited)

Danielle is an experienced researcher, skilled in communication, risk assessment, and the evaluation of evidence. She is currently studying a Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification.